Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:04:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: some bits of help still needed (with jakarta)

That's too much work... there's an easier way...

On 25-Apr-2000 Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I ran the bootstrap.sh and build.sh in /usr/local/jakarta-ant
> and the build.sh in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat.

Rather, download the tomcat 3.1 binary. Untar it in the directory of your
choice. Don't rebuild it.

> Now what? Running the startup shells script in ../build/jakarta
> gives me an exception saying that address already in use. Pointing to
> the fact that probably my apache server is running in the
> apache/jserv configuration.

Is apache Manual mode on or off? it should be set to 'on'

> I couldn't find any direct installation instructions to configure
> apache though www.apache.org/jakarta has a vast FAQ on this kind
> of issues but it's hard to find the starting point.

> I'm totally lost here. Cannot find the information you are
> referring. Sorry.

Try this URL:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html

It goes in detail on several versions of tomcat.conf and other configuration
files. Do a search for tomcat.conf on the page. That should help.

> Also, I'm reading that tomcat doesn't reload altered servlets automatically.
> I think apache/jserv does it. And I think it is an essential feature when one
> is developing servlets. Without this feature, is it really worth
> dealing with tomcat?

It does reload servlets, but it's an option. (I think reload is set on by
default.)

Remember, that servlets now need to be in the webapp archive location.
Specifically, the zones are (basically) replaced by the webapps structure.
So, a webapp should declare the servlets that are available to the web server.
(Forget about zones.) If the webapp is set to reload, any classes in the
webapp structure will be reloaded when they change.

> Spent the whole day with downloading/compiling/installing tomcat now
> and to step further with development.

Also, you (shouldn't) need to recompile anything. Re-use the mod_jserv.so
from the jserv package you already have.

The above URL should help.  (Note that I found the URL at the bottom of
the main tomcat page... at
  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html
under the 'user's guide' link. The 'application developers guide' has
some useful information, but the first URL that I gave should provide
the most amount of help.)

Virtually,
Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>

http://www.methodsystems.com/                4e75