Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:07:22 -0400
From:      "Philip R. Bator" <prb@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't make X run on Presario laptop

Release 4.5

I have been trying to get X 3.3.6 running on my laptop.

Red Hat 7.2 and X with KDE or Gnome worked on this machine.

A comparison between the XF86Config generated by Red Hat and the
same file generated by FreeBSD 4.5 reveals differences.

I tried using the same Vert and Horz settings but the screen shows
only a greenish blah of tight vertical lines quenchable only with
Ctl-Alt-Bcksps.

Compaq Presario 12XL125
AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm)-III Processor
188MB RAM

[Hardware Resources]

[Conflicts/Sharing]

IRQ 9	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 9	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 9	Trident CyberBlade i7 (47)
IRQ 9	Lucent 56K V.90 PCI DF Modem
IRQ 9	Texas Instruments PCI-1211 CardBus Controller
IRQ 11	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11	ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11	VIA PCI Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 11	VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 14	Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14	VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15	Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15	VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
.
.

Can anyone provide me with a clue that would make X come to life?

Thank you,

Phil Bator