Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 23:58:12 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

At 11:27 PM 6/26/97 -0400, John T. Farmer wrote:
>Sigh.  Now I have the other problem.  Client has 20 workstations to
>be upgraded from Win 3.1 & 386/486 to P-class & Win95.  Now I have to
>find out which mainboards are solid under Win95 & don't cost an arm &
>a leg...  Their mailserver/router will be a FreeBSD box, I know what to
>use there! :^>
>
>John

>John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
>jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
>dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
>	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting

I work in a computer store (laitron.home.ml.org or www.laitrons.com) and
have found Asus motherboards (www.asus.com) to be very reliable (i'm a
technician, not a salesman, btw). The Asus VX97 can be had for $95 (San
Francisco Bay Area prices; i don't know about Tennessee). If the VX board
isn't good (or fast) enough, the basic TX97 board is $155. There are also
models of the TX which have a SoundBlaster 16, more DIMM sockets, ATX form
factor, or ATI Rage II video). There's also the classic $135 XP55 T2P4
board (HX chipset) which isn't the latest, but is still a good value. Of
the boards we sell (Microstar, SuperMicro, Asus, an Iwill or two, Intel,
FIC), Asus boards give us the least trouble. Sadly, the TX97 is so new that
you need to install all of the motherboard drivers from the CDROM in order
to get Win95's plug-and-pray working properly.
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 04/18/97
"If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire."