Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:44:38 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Certificate Howto

Mark Einreinhof wrote:

> Is there a Howto/FAQ that explains "make certificate type=*" ? I just want
> to create a cert that contains my info so I know when I pointed my browser
> to my server to go secure, I got my server and no longer get the SnakeOil
> cert. I don't need all the fancy Verisign, etc. stuff.

The SSLeay docs describe how to do that. Can't easily tell you since
it's been over a year since I did it. But it wasn't that hard. Basically
you first generate a CA certificate and then use that to certify
your own certificate. Most browser will allow you to add such a
self signed certificate.

Roelof

PS also noticed that the O'Reilly apache book has a chapter about
SSL including making certificates. But I just bought it and haven't
had time to do more than browse it.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.