Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P6DNH Question

Hi Steve Passe;  On 21-Jul-97 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > in your smptests.h file:
> > >  comment out:
> > >   NEW_STRATEGY
> > >   APIC_PIN0_TIMER
> > >   TEST_ALTTIMER
> > >   TIMER_ALL
> > >
> > > then go to the i386/conf dir and restore the "options SMP_TIMER_NC".
> > > run config, go to the build dir, make depend && make && make install.
> > > let me know if this works (or not).
> >
> > Not :-(
> >
> > Same symptoms;  stuck in default_halt just before execing init.
>
> I'm going to need detailed info to be able to be of help.  The ideal
> situation is to setup your box to use a serial console, and use an
> xterm on another machine to connect to the target box.  Then you can
> capture
> the complete output thru the point of failure.  See the freebsd handbook
> for details.

I already posted all the details (OK, minus some prompts).  There is
nothing much to tell;  Boot proceeds totally normally until the point at
which /etc/rc starts (on a UP).  At this point nothing happens.  At all.
If I ctl-alt-esc into the debugger, I am told the processor is in
default_halt + 0x01.  If I tell the debugger to continue, it actually tries
to call boot().  Boot gets confused because I have a function registered
with at_shutdown which tsleep()s.  This last part has nothing to do with
SMP as this confusion exists in the UP kernel as well.

I will be very happy to supply whatever information is necessary, including
access to the errant machine.  BTW, the handbook is out of date on serial
console, last I checked.  I wanted to add that for a long time...

Simon