Date:      11 May 2003 00:35:27 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        Barry Irwin <bvi@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Subject:   Re: Problex with Matrox G450 and XFree86 4.3.0 on 4.8-STABLE

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 23:58, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2003 14:31, Barry Irwin wrote:
>
> > Any bright ideas.   I've had a look at
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/index.html and all seems ane to me.
>
> I'm using G450 as well and followed the above link. I'm not sure mga_hal is a
> must if you want to run drm/dri. It doesn't load here either, and drm
> works... sorta. But I've got a few issues:
>
> 1) drm can only be initialized after a reboot. Any resetting af X after a
> reboot will make drm fail.
>
> 2) *sometimes* drm/dri/opengl doesn't look like it's working properly. Eg.
> sometimes the KDE-screensaver only occupies a *part* of the upper left corner
> (guess it's something like 640x480).

You don't need mga_hal.  On my X site I have:

        The MGA hal is a closed-source hardware access library from
        Matrox. XFree86 includes the ability to make a loadable module
        using this library to add features to XFree86's Matrox support.
        If the loadable module is present it enables TV Out and dualhead
        for G400 cards (non-G400 dualhead cards don't need it). If it
        isn't found, an error message is printed about it being missing
        but it's not a problem unless you need these features.

There's some more that having the mga_hal changes, but I wasn't clear on
what it was.

I know about the drm not successfully initilizing on the second start of
XFree86.  This is something that, afaik, only occurs with KDE.  My guess
is that there's something going on with forking that some KDE program
does which confuses the DRM.  I made a patch for it, but the one person
who has tested it so far said it didn't help.

I don't know about #2.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org