Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:57:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:49:28 -0700 (PDT) Tom said:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, John T. Farmer wrote:
>
>> The reason for AMD & Cyrix _not_ making a slot-1 is the same reason that
>> they don't make socket-8 cpu's, namely, patents.  Intel holds patents
>> on both socket-8 and slot-1.  Want to bet that they have/will have a
>> patent on the slot-2 architecture also?
>
>  Which is probably what everyone has been doing already.  What kind of
>socket does the Alpha 21164 use?  How about the PowerPC 750?  How about
>the UltraSparc?  How about the R10000?  How many of these socket types are
>patented?

	That I don't know off the top of my head.  I suspect that you're
	correct & they all are using patented sockets.

>> Ah, for the days when socket formats/designs were open, set by industry
>> coalitions or organizations.  When manufactours designed a "closed"
>> socket & watched their design-in wins drop...
>
>  Huh?  For CPU sockets?  Manufactures always just built what they need.
>Besides CPU design has changed a lot.  I agree with Intel's motivation to
>go to a SEC.  It provides a package which is easier to cool for a start.
>Is there a "standard" SEC style design that Intel could have used instead
>of coming up with slot 1?

Well actually, no.  Digging, you find that the SOJ & pin-grid sockets
originally used were either standard (JEDEC, etc.) or were "opened" by
the original vendor in hopes of winning more design-ins.  Most chip
(& cpu's qualifies as chips) vendors that went their own way in socket
formats disappeared or rapidly changed their tune.

Look at markets for embedded microprocessors, for example.  The cpu
market there is a "commodity market" with high volume users going to
SMT components & almost everybody else going with more standard
chip carriers.

Intel _does_not_ want the PC/workstation/desktop, etc. market to turn
into a commodity market, which is what the socket-7 market has turned
into.  Intel does want fat profit margins, not tiny ones.  They are
not the first to do this, even in the computer biz.  Read up on IBM
and the PCM vendors (Plug-Compatible Manufacturer) during the late '60's
and '70's.  It took many lawsuits and megadollars of marketing & support
for the PCM's to complete.  What made the most difference though was
the paradigm shift to the distributed PC & network environment.

As to Intel's reasoning for going to the Slot-1 SEC format, I agree
there're _alot_ of good technical reasons for it.  There're also alot
of marketing/legal issues for it.

John	(Who spent too much time reading Electronics & other rags
	 in the 70's & early 80's)

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting