Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:30:05 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        dwalton@psiint.com (Dave Walton)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange lockup problem

# Switching from one vty to another frequently causes a lockup.  It can

	If you still can do telnet to your box (or come into it
	via modem port), that's a situation I've seen several
	times before -- lockup (or better to say synchronization
	problem) of onboard kbd controller, or keyboard itself.
	Sometimes re-plugging of kbd jack cures it (dangerous!)
	or a command kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0 (issued
	after coming into the box via telnet).

# happen the first time after boot, or it might take a dozen or so
# switches.  It's very repeatable.  All I need to do is boot up and sit at
# the login prompt hitting Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 (or any other ones) and sooner
# or later the system locks up.  I believe that it's just the keyboard
# locking up, but have no way of testing this theory.

	Yes, smells pretty similar to what I've seen. Try the above
	action.

# mouse.  The only changes were to comment out I386_CPU and I496_CPU,
# change the ident, and add options ATAPI, device wcd0, and device psm0.
# When I enable psm0, the system boots fine, but with the keyboard locked
# up. Disabling psm0 eliminates the problem.

	No idea on this.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"You may delegate authority, but not responsibility."
					Frank's Management Rule #1.