Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:29:10 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: buildenv target

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 04:17:52PM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Does anyone object to adding a buildenv target to our Makefile, so that
> when crossbuilding you can get the tools setup in a shell.  Useful for
> doing crossbuild testing w/ a cross-built world eaiser.
..
> so:
> bash-2.05b$ which config
> /usr/sbin/config
> bash-2.05b$ make buildenv TARGET_ARCH=arm
> Entering world for arm:arm
> bash-2.05b$ which config
> /usr/obj/arm/usr/home/jmg/arm/src/i386/legacy/usr/sbin/config

I don't quite follow what you're going to do with in it.
The problem is the more we bend this to do what the random person wants
to do we build a garantium thing that is hard to change w/o breaking some
"established" behavior.  Much like the huge mess we had in binutils to
support cross assembling to non-FreeBSD platforms.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)