Date:      Thu, 26 May 2005 07:07:57 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: 3 things working in -STABLE and not in -CURRENT

On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:32:34 +0200, S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>
wrote:

>=20
> On 25/05/2005, at 2:03, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > I've tried your suggestion, enabling/disabling each device (in the =20
> > BIOS) and rebooting.  I even completely disconnected the power to
> > the box for a minute, just in case something had gotten "stuck" in
> > some weird state.  But no matter what I do, even with the ata1-slave
> > device marked as "Not installed" in the BIOS, it keeps getting
> > configured as acd0.
>=20
> I told you to try *physically* disconnecting each drive and boot with=20
> that, fiddling the BIOS doesn't do anything but keep the device out =20
> of the BIOS tables. Then boot with each device verbosely and send me =20
> the boot logs / dmesg.

Ah, my misunderstanding.  I'll try doing that, probably in a few more
days, when I have some free time.

> > Is there any way to gather some more verbose diagnostics, besides a
> > simple "boot -v"?  So far, atacontrol and pciconf haven't proved to
> > be very useful at all.  Are there any other tools, in the base
> > system  or in ports, that may shed some more light on what's
> > happening here?
>=20
> The tools are make, gcc etc and are in the base system :)
> You need to instrument the code and figure out what's going on during=20
> the probe.
> Thats why its very handy to have hands on the HW when doing debugging=20
> of such issues.

OK, but I really have no idea what more I could do with the actual code,
to be honest.

> > I think for now I may just revert to RELENG_5 and see what happens.
> > The irony of the situation is that I had only just recently really
> > started "getting into" using my DVD drive, and it really hurts now =20
> > to be without it. :-(
> >
> > I do hope this problem will not continue to plague me through future
> > FreeBSD releases.  If so, that may leave me no choice but to switch
> > to another OS entirely, which I would *really* hate to have to do,
> > as I've been using FreeBSD for nine years now, and have really come
> > to love it.
> >
> > Switching to a whole new OS at this point (even another BSD) would
> > not only sadden me greatly, but I downright shudder at the prospect
> > of having to come to grips with what I could only rightly consider
> > an inferior platform, as FreeBSD is definitely the best in my book.
>=20
> How should I interpret that  exactly ?
> If you have been using FreeBSD for 9 years you must have been =20
> suffering a lot worse problems than this..

True, and they did eventually get resolved, some not nearly as quickly
as I would have liked, though, of course.  :-)

> And BTW I don't react well to threats if that was the purpose :)

No, it wasn't meant as a threat, just as a simple statement of reality.=20
If I can't get these devices to work properly anymore as FreeBSD
continues to evolve, I just may be forced to try some alternatives,
that's all.  In fact, adding this to the long-standing non-existent MIDI
support only increases the likelihood of my being forced to seek out
some other alternative.  That's not a threat, either, just a simple
statement of my increasing frustration and diminishing patience with
FreeBSD's lack of hardware support in certain areas that are very
important to me (namely, MIDI).

I'm not ready to "throw in the towel" just yet.  We'll see what I can
dig up in a few days.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Conrad

--=20
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"