Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:44:52 -0700
From:      "Vinod Kashyap" <vkashyap@amcc.com>
To:        "Karl Denninger" <karl@denninger.net>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)LBA=11441599

> I have two controllers here that are from different=20
> manufacturers and both exhibit the same problem.  The SAME=20
> disks (two different manufacturers - hitachi and maxtor) on a=20
> motherboard ICH5 adapter work perfectly, smartmontools says=20
> all 4 (I have two examples of each) are healthy, and both=20
> ALSO work perfectly on and are declared healthy by a 3ware=20
> 8502's internal diags and operating kernel (smartmontools=20
> won't talk to them on the 8502.)
>=20

smartmontools should support 3ware 7xxx & 8xxx controllers, although
not 9xxx controllers.  See the answer to the question 'Can I monitor
ATA disks behind SCSI RAID controllers?' at
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#FAQ.  Although the answer is
for Linux, it applies to FreeBSD as well.  You have to use '-d 3ware,N'
with every command, where N is the unit #.
Ex: smartctl -H -A -d 3ware,1 /dev/twed

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, =
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains =
information that is confidential and proprietary to Applied Micro =
Circuits Corporation or its subsidiaries. It is to be used solely for =
the purpose of furthering the parties' business relationship. All =
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If =
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply =