Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:29:27 -0400
From:      Maurice Volaski <mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        jonathan@onegoodidea.com, sven@dmv.com, david.robillard@gmail.com, pjd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Would ZFS and gmirror work well together in a two-node failover cluster?

>My findings have been that ZFS and ggate[cd] do *not* play nicely

I am not that surprised. Gmirror doesn't look like it was designed to
be as integrated as dedicated remote mirroring solutions such as
Linux drbd or AVS (Sun's "drbd") are. And it's still not clear
whether gmirror could be configured to stay out of way should disk
errors occur.

I've been setting up a virtual system in OpenSolaris and it's
starting to look like my Linux-based drbd system.

I do hope FreeBSD fixes the outstanding issues and also gives these
the scheme more functionality so it works like drbd. FreeBSD ought to
have something like that. :-)

>As was suggested in other followups, it would seem that zfs send/recv
>may be a viable option depending on whethere it is granular enough
>(timewise) to be practical.

The post at
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2008-January/045168.html
highlights an important difference between zfs send/recv and an
integrated remote mirroring solution like AVS.

The more I read about AVS, the more it sounds like drbd. For example,
I can monitor it as it keeps things in sync. I guess I've been
spoiled by drbd for all these years and that includes a fair share of
unplanned failovers.

Thanks for the advice.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu