Date:      Mon, 4 Jul 2016 09:33:54 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A question about downloading FreeBSD kernel code

On 07/04/16 09:25, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2016, Nan Xiao wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to install FreeBSD kernel source files, and my FreeBSD kernel
>> version is:
>>
>> # freebsd-version -k
>> 10.3-RELEASE-p4
>>
>> But from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/, there is
>> only 10.3-RELEASE code.
>> So is it mapping to my kernel version (10.3-RELEASE-p4)? Or where
>> should I download the right
>> 10.3-RELEASE-p4 code?
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Usually, uname -a will show the revision number of the code in use.
> That revision number can be used to check out the correct version of
> the source from the repository.  For example, on a 10-STABLE system I
> have here:
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD lightning 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r302243: Mon Jun
> 27 19:27:54 MDT 2016 root@lightning:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIGHTNING  amd64
>
> So this is built from revision 302243 of the source.
>
> If /usr/src exists, it is deleted to make sure there is no old source
> in there:
>
> rm -rf /usr/src
>
> Then check out the source for that revision.  I use 'svn' here because
> I have installed the Subversion port, but svnlite is in the base
> system and usually works the same.
>
> Source for a -RELEASE system will come from the releng branch, so your
> checkout will look like this (the nnnnnn coming from the uname -a
> output):
>
> svn checkout -r nnnnnn https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/10.3 /usr/src

Did that (revision serializing) start w/ 10.n ? I don't see that on my
9.3R box:

[wam@kabini1, ~, 9:32:26am] 490 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p33 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p33 #0: Wed
Jan 13 17:55:39 UTC 2016
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[wam@kabini1, ~, 9:34:02am] 491 %

--