Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:10:01 -0700
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions Running a DNS Server

Hello all!

Okay, so my wife finally registered her own domain name (digitaltlc.com).  As of right now it's being hosted at the web hosting company that she uses to publish her web pages.  In other words, their DNS servers are doing the dirty work so "www.digitaltlc.com" points to their machines.

I have a DSL connection with 2 static IP's.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.0 Release.  I don't mind them doing the work, what I want to do is add my home machines to the mix and I thought running a DNS server would be the way to do it.

I mean if I wanted to set one machine as crack.digitaltlc.com and the other whatever.digitaltlc.com do I have to tell her hosting site to add it into their dns records or could I just run a DNS server to accomplish that.

Sure I can just name my machines that, but I'd like to be able to go to work and type crack.digitaltlc.com and get to my machine.

Anyways, some insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joey Garcia