Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:15:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        wexler@inter.net.il
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5, Customer #584350

Enoch Wexler writes:

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> + Received 2.1.5 CDROMs from Walnut today. +
> + Can't install it. Please help:           +
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Version 2.1 I managed to install from a DOS partition.
>
> This time I have no disk space left in DOS and therefore *MUST* install from
> CDROM but fbsdboot.exe hangs...
>
> A short description of my system (a standard Micron Millenia):
> Pentium 133 PCI bus, 16MB RAM, 1.6GB EIDE HD, TEAC 6X CD-ROM IDE.
>
> Tried to INSTALL.BAT from Windows95 MSDOS mode. Actually I just
> want to upgrade but got my sources well backed up.

Remember that booting from DOS or other Microsoft products is a
kludge.  It usually works, but the proper way to boot for installation
is from floppy.  Use RAWRITE.EXE to make a boot floppy, boot from that
and you should at least eliminate the uncertainty with Microsoft.

> Is it because support for IDE CD-ROM drives is still not available?

That's the next question.  Yes, support is available, but it's
possible that your CD-ROM isn't supported the way it's configured.
But it shouldn't cause the boot to hang, it'll just not find the
drive, and the menu offer you some unsavoury ways to install the
system, such as via floppy.  I'd guess that you haven't got to this
problem yet.

Greg