Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 14:30:39 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, Michael Dorin <dorin@puma.chaski.com>
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: How well do virtual domains work with same IP address?

Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Michael Dorin wrote:
>
> > How well do virtual domains work with the same IP address using apache?
>
> You can't do header based virtual domains using https:, and some programs
> (very few browsers, and all of those rather old) have problems because
> they don't supply the host: header, but I haven't seen any other problems
> with them.

I don't believe this is correct. It might depend on the particular SSL
implementation, which is not part of Apache anyway.

I am considering purchasing Stronghold for SSL support (http://www.c2.net/),
and have queried them on precisely this point. The answer was the multiple
domains mapped to a single IP address are supported for https: access, provided
you have a certificate for each domain.

On the subject of the original question, I don't have much experience with
Apache yet. However there are many general issues with this form of virtual
hosting that may be relevant. I have extensive experience with one large
hosting service (http://www.webcom.com/) which hosts some 11,000 domains mapped
to a single IP. It works well for the most part, and is working better with
time, but it has not been without troubles.

Apart from the issue of browser support (the client must pass the "host:"
header per HTTP1.1), there have been assorted problems with search engines,
banning and filtering (one "bad" site may lead to banning of all under the one
IP), assorted non-browser clients that don't support the host header (yet

For us, a bottom line is still that if you want to give a customer 3-star web
hosting service, you give him a private IP.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna