Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:58:10 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, arch@freebsd.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, David Xu <davidx@viasoft.com.cn>, Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Release notes (was Re: retiring kernfs)

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 11:43:34AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > > Why not mandate a line of the form
> > >       RELEASE NOTE: yyyymmdd[hhmm[ss]] account - note
> > > and then have an automated script gather these up regularly?
>
> To Marius:  I presume you're referring to a mandatory line in commit
> messages.  The problem is that there's lots of commits that don't really
> result in release note entries (i.e. fixing a typo in an error
> message, or eliminating a compiler warning).

I don't think automating release note entries would ever work. A carefully
handcrafted relnote file is much better than one created automagically.

> (Thanks, by the way, to anyone who's committed to the release notes
> files, especially gshapiro and sanpei, who have been especially
> consciencious about this.)

That is exactly the point: consciencious one must be to produce good,
readable and understandable information. Forcing people to write something
up in a commit message *that is suitable for a relnote file* is impossible
IMHO.

--
Wilko Bulte  	 					Arnhem, the Netherlands
wilko@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org 		http://www.nlfug.nl