Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 08:08:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: JAVA-applets crash mozilla

Hi Joe!

On 1 Dec 2001, Joe Clarke wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 21:00, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:
> >
> > I still do not believe that mozilla supports JAVA as some
> > people on this list say. But I installed linux-jdk1.3.1 and
> > a linux-build (0.9.6) from mozilla.org into /usr/local.
> > Then I linked jdk's libjavaplugin_oji.so into mozilla's
> > plugins directory.
> > After this I restarted mozilla and tried to visit
> > java.sun.com
> > and off it went (pages without JAVA run fine, of course).
>
> When you say, "off it went," do you mean it crashed.?
Yes, Mozilla closed down.

> I think
> symlinking the plugin into Mozilla's plugin directory is a bad idea.
Symbolic links are of no use anyway. Linux-Mozilla and
Linux-JDK seem to work in /compat/linux/ directory. So I set
a hard link.

> This didn't work for me with NS 4.  Instead, try setting the plugin
> environment variables to include the path to libjavaplugin_oji.so.  In
> NS 4, the variable is NPX_PLUGIN_PATH.  It may be the same for Mozilla,
> but you might want to check.
I found a hint about that at sun's JAVA pages. But they say
it only works with NS 4. For NS 6 you should set the link.
Anyway: I tried it and it failed.

Thanx for your answer though!

But: