Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:28:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mwm@phone.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

As Jordan K. Hubbard scribbled...

> > that users are going to try and run your product on. Wise users have
> > been avoiding .0 releases for production systems since - well, longer
> > than I've been in the game. It's part of life in the software world,
> > at least until that world undergoes some *radical* changes.
>
> Thank you, that's essentially what I've been trying to say in a far
> less succinct fashion for the last 2 or 3 rounds.
>
> I also appreciate that it was pointed out that Windows 98 was hardly
> any less buggy in its own way (or, for that matter, Win95) when first
> released, the difference being that Microsoft was by no means as
> honest about the bleeding-edge nature of these releases as we are.
> They just hyped it to the skies and sold it like the shameless bunch
> of jackals that they are. :-)
>
> I, on the other hand, warned people away from 3.0-RELEASE in multiple
> emails, in the README, on the WEB site (www.cdrom.com was very clear
> about 3.0-RELEASE's status in its mailed handouts and all promo
> materials) and all I seem to have gotten for this degree of "honesty"
> is a kick in the crotch and claims that users weren't adequately
> warned.  It's enough to make one wish for a nuclear war so that we
> might perhaps redirect evolution to some more promising candidate. ;)

Generations to come will probably learn, in addition to Heisenberg's
principle the "Gates axioma": "one can sell, given enough marketing
buzz, everything under the sun, irrespective of it's
(lack of) quality." Maybe a second line will read: "And get filthy rich
in the process".

It might really be time to call in the Vogons ;-)

-BTW: is this whole discussion not highly "-chat qualified" in the meantime?

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko