Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 18:05:41 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc completeness

Hi!

I'm running a little pet project of improving completeness of
tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc file and thus delete-old*
targets with regard to all possible WITHOUT_* knobs.

E.g. when WITHOUT_foo is defined in src.conf, make delete-old should
remove related files completely, to make a system look exactly like
it's world was installed with that knob set.

First of all, an automatic script to check for leftovers after
delete-old for all possible knobs is available from [2]. Feel free
to run in on different architectures and FreeBSD branches; I'm
currently running it on amd64. I also think that it should be run
during preparation of each FreeBSD release.

There are some questions I'd like to discuss.

1) named config file var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf was intentionally
left out from OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, so I did the same for other
configs which may be changed by users. Since this approach requires
maintaining a whitelist of such files to ignore them in checking
leftovers, I think it'd be better to introduce special variable for
config files, e.g. OLD_CONFIGS and corresponding target,
delete-old-configs, which will by default remove configs interactively,
with an option to remove them in batch mode.

2) Is this ok to backport the list from current to stable branches? Pro
- it's really simple, con - it will contain files never installed with
this (old) branch.

I also plan to make similar script for checking completeness of
delete-old* targets for the case of system update.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/168341
[2] https://github.com/AMDmi3/obsolete-files-checker

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru