Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 1995 03:09:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Ok, *now* it's End-Of-ALPHA Release Candidate time!

>> The First trick is "kzip", or the compressed (gzip'd) kernel image.
>> Those familiar with Linux already know all about compressing kernels
>> to save space on boot floppies, and we're doing it now too.  A kzip'd

I think Linux does it mainly to fit the kernel below 640K.

I don't like it.  It requires extra utilities.  It stops binary
utilities (e.g., nm) from working right on the kernel.  It slows down
booting.  When the kernel grows a little over 640K or the disk grows a
little over 1200K, you waste time squeezing it.  When the kernel grows
much to large, you have to load it high or use 2 disks.  Then
compression is not much use, but it may be kept for compatibility or to
stop the kernel growing large enough to require a bigger segment of
memory or another disk.

Bruce