Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:13:34 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [self base packages] pkg: packages for wrong OS version: FreeBSD:12:amd64

On 10 Jan 2018, at 18:53, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> I need to figure out a mechanism to make this simpler to handle to =
upgrade of
> base system while keeping this safety belt for users.
>=20
> Any idea is welcome

I believe the apt approach to this is to have a different verb =
(distupgrade vs upgrade) to perform complete version upgrades.  Ideally, =
the proper fix would probably be to depend on a base package version, =
rather than OSVERSION, and if the base packages are not being used to =
synthesise a phantom set of base package metadata based on OSVERSION.

David