Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:36:14 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        courtney@whtz.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting a floppy

* courtney@whtz.com <courtney@whtz.com> [000217 16:32] wrote:

> hey everyone-
>
>      I have a question that to many will seem very remedial, but since I
> have never had a need for it, I never learned how to do it :-)
>
> How do I properly mount/unmount a floppy disk (1.4 MB) right now I do
> "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" and it lets me see the disk, but how can it un-mout
> it?  Also, how can I format a floppy once it's mounted in FreeBSD 3.2?

'umount /mnt' to unmount it.

note, you do _not_ format a floppy after it's mounted!  you must
format beforehand, I'd be pretty suprised if mount allowed you
to mount anything that wasn't already formatted.

You format it beforehand using fdformat and newfs, refer to the
fdformant and newfs manpages for details, it's been a while since
I've formatted a floppy myself.

-Alfred