Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:37:14 -0800
From:      erk! <tapeworm@insekta.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86, Anti-aliasing, Truetype, Freetype

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:07:43 -0800 (PST)
"Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm close but not quite there yet, so I need some more help...
>
> FreeBSD 4.7-REL, Xfree86 4.2.0, Enlightenment 0.16.5, OpenOffice
> 1.0.1, recent Mozilla nightly, Freetype 1.3.1, Freetype2 2.1.2
>
> I have Truetype fonts working, and they're even anti-aliased in OO,
> but they look like crap (certainly not like on a Windoze system).

a few more specifics here *might* be somewhat helpful.  you mention
mozilla, so are you getting not-so-purdy fonts just in mozilla, just in
gtk apps, just in openoffice, or all-around?  are you actually selecting
the truetype fonts
to be used on said apps?  this is relatively important, because while
you may be using truetype fonts, anti-aliasing may not actually be
working for you.  for instance, to have anti-aliased fonts with gtk12
ports, you need to install and configure gdkxft.

concerning openoffice, though, it doesn't handle microsoft-based fonts
very well, from what i've noticed, even on windows systems.  it seems to
me that this is a problem with openoffice (at least when dealing with
the .doc format voodoo), not your configuration.  lemme guess..odd
craggy bits here and there, and badly spaced type (i.e. the letters on
some words look disjointed, sometimes letters look crammed too close to
one another, sometimes too far apart?)  this was my experience with
openoffice under x-windows and ms windows.  same thing for staroffice.

also, if this extends to mozilla, there have been some recent
discussions regarding messed up fonts.  you might take a look back in
the recent mailing list archives.

- erk, who tossed out *office, and went with abiword.  all is good once
again.