Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:29:23 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Recent bsd.port.mk changes

in message <1050646484.58286.108.camel@shumai.marcuscom.com>, wrote
Joe Marcus Clarke thusly...

> On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 00:57, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > In your case since the PREFIX is different they don't actually
> > conflict so one might argue that it should be allowed.
> > I suppose that's something that could be checked in bsd.port.mk
> > by extracting the prefix for the existing package from the
> > contents file and comparing to PREFIX.
>
> This would be acceptable.

Same here.

> However, the make deinstall would still remove both versions.
> What about keeping make deinstall the same as it was with one
> exception: if you type make deinstall in a port directory, and the
> version specified by that port's Makefile is not installed (but
> another version with the same origin is), then the other version
> would be deinstalled.  However, if a package is found that matches
> the version specified in the port's Makefile, then only that
> version is removed.

How would a package be found, being in /usr/ports/packages/All?  In
my case, i do not like the symlinks generated in various directories
to the packages in All.  I need to have a package in the ports
directory, and let me move it wherever i desire.

And yes, i specify the path to pkg_add instead of just port/package
name when i need to install an already build port as a package.  In
such a scenario i would rather have new behaviour than the one you
are suggesting.  'make deinstall' should not discriminate between
a port & a package.

...all that unless i have missed something.

  - parv