Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:39:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        Anand Ranganathan <anand@desktop.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh bug?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Anand Ranganathan wrote:

> Basically, when I "set color" the ls-F builtin seems to consider the
> options to ls as the file arguments to ls. This is weird, since ls-F

What's happening is when you type ls-F -x where x is an argument tcsh
doesn't know how to deal with it execs an ls from your path. If color is
set it execs ls --color=auto -x (where x is the argument(s) you
specified). I think --color=auto is a linux thing.

When FreeBSD's ls sees (presumably with a call to getopt) an argument
starting with -- it ignores that argument and finishes switch processing
so anything folowing is interpreted as a filename.

To solve the problem you seen to set color=ls-F.

Andrew