Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:38:42 GMT
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   inetd realloc junk pointer

I'm running a 2.2.5 system with bisdn-0.97, Xaccel, qvwm, netscape
communicator (the linux version I believe), all together an
explosive mixture ;-).

Last night I did a several hour download of a larger piece of sw
through netscape and had a 20s ping running to keep the connection
alive at any rate.

This morning I tried to ftp from another machine to the FreeBSD
machine on the local ethernet and got on the client side :

   inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer too low to make sense.

That came obviously from the FreeBSD ftpd/inetd .

I looked at the swap space which had only 2MB free (of 130MB).
So the machine seemed to have run out of swap during the night
or at least very close to the limit and the ftpd invocation
might have scraped the top.

Rebooting was the only resort at that time.

I'm just reporting this in case someone might have an idea
which realloc might have been the cause in inetd and if a more
declarative message might be issued in that case.