Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2015 11:00:47 -0800
From:      Nick Rogers <ncrogers@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, "Dr. Peter Voigt" <pvoigt@uos.de>
Subject:   Re: www/squid does not shutdown via rc
References:  <20150126152433.52f07277f377f9396b65c9a8@mimar.rs> <20150127.002919.335530336.yasu@utahime.org> <20150126163934.32f199d43d86a70b00dd7e4a@mimar.rs> <20150127.010539.230444205.yasu@utahime.org> <54C6695E.6010704@freebsd.org> <20150126212514.56c8f0866f1d63bb98089dd0@mimar.rs> <20150126235655.5d371915@kirk.drpetervoigt.private> <CAN6yY1uciVB-83=ECbrtdnNOFDs3VCX9UA97thK8mQ08aavHtw@mail.gmail.com> <20150127035200.GF44537@home.opsec.eu> <54C73A0E.8050501@FreeBSD.org> <20150127115151.afeb1ee969a562e8f42e300c@mimar.rs> <20150128155846.76d77a18@kirk.drpetervoigt.private> <CAN6yY1uiFjsyjDdVjiBu5-H1-s-K145H9B4WwpFA4mEtMenxeA@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:51:51 +0100
> > Marko Cupa=C4=87 <marko.cupac@mimar.rs> wrote:

> > > The timing for this is really unfortunate for me, because I have just
> > > re-installed my FreeBSD fleet of some 20 virtual servers without
> > > sources included, and I just introduced "binary only" policy (ok I do
> > > build my own ports on one server in poudriere, but all other servers
> > > use packages).
> > >
> > > I guess theoretically it is possible to make "kernel build server"
> > > which will build custom kernel for distribution to other servers. I
> > > am just not sure how will RELEASE userland tolerate STABLE kernel.
> > >
> > > Does this sound reasonable? Any tips?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance,
> >
> > Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
> >

> Sorry for the late response. I've had guests for hte past few days and
> simply have not had time to properly address your concerns.
>
> While most of these concerns are not an issue, exactly why gets a bit mor=
> complex. And there are some real issues, but this is an exceptionally
> simple case and eliminates most of them. See comments in-line.
>

> > @Kevin:
> > Your outline of kernel patching procedure is helpful and corresponds
> > in most aspects what I have thought so far. I aggree with you that
> > patching, building and installing a custom kernel can be managed. And I
> > am sure that I can do it.
> >
> > So getting a custom kernel installed is one thing but keeping your
> > system in a manageable way is another. Kurt and Mattew pointed out that
> > you want to keep freebsd-update working in a reliable way and this
> > obviously needs some manual interaction. Information about it is
> > not too easily gathered and answers given here still leave some
> > question open to me.
> >

> It does, but very little. In general, freebsd-update is a binary update
> tool. While it does update sources, if they are present, it makes no use =
of
> those sources.
>
> My instructions provided for saving the GENERIC kernel where freebsd-upda=
te
> will use it instead of the running kernel. /boot/GENERIC is used only be
> freebsd-update. It is otherwise unneeded. This does not touch any files
> that will normally require merging, which is often the main complication.=
> am unsure whether it will require a merge of the modified source files, b=
ut
> that is easily avoidable renaming /sys/kern/kern_sig.c.orig to overwrite
> the patched /sys/kern/kern_sig.c file, returning the sources to their
> original condition.
> # cp /sys/kern/kern_sig.c.orig /sys/kern/kern_sig.c
>
> This is not really required, but will assure that, from the perspective o=
> freebsd-update, the system will be entirely unchanged. There is simply no
> impact on future updates as there are no changes left.
>

> > I have had a hard time with freebsd-update when upgrading 10.0-RELEASE

m-10-0-release-to-10-1-release.48977/page-2#post-277094
> > and I do not want to get even more trouble letting
> > freebsd-update confuse my system with a mixture of GENERIC and custom
> > kernels ending in a situation where none of them is able to boot.
> >
> > I have learned that I can advice freebsd-update to not update my kernel
> > but am still confused whether it is the version under /boot/GENERIC or
> > the one under /boot/kernel. And I would like to know how to tell
> > FreeBSD how to boot a certain kernel. All I know so far is that if a
> > kernel fails to boot you have to boot into recovery and move kernel.old
> > to kernel. Is there a boot menu available with the FreeBSD boot loader
> > which would simplify life a lot?
> >

> The running kernel is in boot/kernel. /boot/GENERIC is not present unless
> you create it and, when present, it is used as the kernel which
> frebsd-update will patch in the upgrade phase and then install in the
> install phase. Actually, the Handbook recommends always keeping a copy of
> the GENERIC kernel as /boot/GENERIC. There is no reason not to allow
> freebsd-update to update the kernel as it will use /boot/GENERIC and igno=
re
> the running /boot/kernel/kernel.

Should /boot/GENERIC be a directory containing the contents of the default
RELEASE kernel (i.e., a copy of /boot/kernel, including
/boot/kernel/kernel, modules, and symbols) OR the actual kernel file itself
(i.e., a copy of /boot/kernel/kernel)?