Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:42:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple defaultrouter

Multiple gateways are indeed possible - support for them is
mandated by RFC.

However, it has been reported that simply adding more default routes with
the standard `route` commands will not be successful.  Something along the
lines of:

route: writing to routing socket: File exists
add net 0.0.0.0: gateway 192.168.1.1: File exists

One simple solution to your problem can be had with `ipfw`, support for
which you will need to add to your kernel.  options IPFIREWALL and
IPDIVERT.  You may wish to add other options like IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, etc.

`ipfw` rulesets like this:

## Allow traffic to flow normally
ipfw add allow ip from 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.0/24
## Forward other traffic to router 1
ipfw add fwd 192.168.0.1 ip from 192.168.0.0/24 to any
## Allow traffic to flow normally
ipfw add allow ip from 10.0.0.0/24 to 10.0.0.0/24
## Forward other traffic to router 2
ipfw add fwd 10.0.0.1 ip from 10.0.0.0/24 to any

First rule allows normal traffic within the subnet to do as it
will.  Second rule dictates that packets in subnet 192.168.0.0/24 bound to
other places hit router 1.  Third rule allows normal traffic within this
other subnet to do as it will.  Fourth rule dictates that packets in
subnet 10.0.0.0/24 bound to other places will hit router 2.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com