Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 13:46:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        djw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dan Walters)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: console freezes/vt100 compatibility

Dan Walters stands accused of saying:

> 1)  I like to switch consoles pretty fast on occasion - should probably
>     just use X, but sometimes I prefer the text mode.  Anyway, once in
>     a while it will just stop accepting keyboard input, including
>     ctrl-alt-del.  The system will keep compiling, ftping, or whatever,
>     but I can't do anything or shut it down.  Has anyone else experienced
>     this or fixed it?  I have a P133/2940/16MB system, and a friend of mine

It's a problem with the protocol used to talk to the keyboard, and
isn't terribly easy to work around.  Basically what happens is that the
keyboard controller and the keyboard get out of sync; you can try
unplugging and replugging your keyboard, which may clear the problem if
it's your keyboard that's confused, and if your keyboard doesn't require
a reset from the PC before working (most modern keybpards fit this
category).

A proper workaround would involve decoupling the keyboard communications
stuff from the console driver, and raises nasty issues to do with keeping
the keyboard state in sync with the selected VTY.