Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Brandon Hume <hume@Den.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMPng CPU states

Brandon Hume wrote:
> I've built world and kernel yesterday, and was delighted to see the AIC7xxx
> problems had gone away.  I actually got tripped up by having Linux emulation
> enabled and forgetting to remove old modules, but that was fixed quick.
>
> All-in-all, I'm not having a rough time at all with the new code.  My
> machine has been up for 7.5 hours now without a hiccup.  I DID notice that
> I can't load X without a hang, which I think is the same AGP problem someone
> else mentioned.
>
> The only other thing I've noticed is top telling me that the CPU is steady
> at 50.0% system and 50.0% idle.  The box is completely quiescent, except for
> me ssh'd in and running top.  vmstat says sy=50 and id=50 as well.  If I
> start a CPU-chewing process (sh -c 'while true; do true; done') the resultant
> CPU usage in %user seems to come from %system.

Process accounting is somewhat broken.  The actual runtime of each process
(p_runtime, or TIME in top) is accurate, but many of the other statistics are
broken at the moment since statclock() no longer has a proper stackframe to
work with.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/