Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:01:55 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.3.1 patchset 6

Hi all,

Patchset 6 for JDK 1.3.1 is up on the web site.  The main highlights are:

1. The Java web browser plugin for Mozilla is working (Joe Kelsey and
   Fuyuhiko Maruyama).
2. Several bug fixes, including the division by zero problem.
3. An improved native threads subsystem (Bill Huey).
4. Work has begun on the HotSpot VM (Bill Huey and Joe Kelsey).

See THANKS and ChangeLog in the patchset for more information.

Please test the plugin as extensively as you can!  Similarly, please test
the native threads subsystem if you are able (recent version of the
FreeBSD-STABLE source code required for this).  We know of one problem
with native threads (try the Java 2D demo for instance) but please report
other issues.

If you are a Chinese, Japanese or Korean user you should still also apply
the Open Motif patch from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=30421
and rebuild Open Motif before building the JDK.  This prevents a potential
memory fault when using XIM.  The patch will become unnecessary on your
platform once the Open Motif port/package has been updated.

I recommend people switch to using this version if they want to use a
native JDK 1.3.1.

Note that I am still in the process of testing the update to FreeBSD's
ports/java/jdk13.  This should be available sometime tomorrow.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 796 6999