Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:25:53 -0600
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kdesupport2 fails to compile on 4.2-STABLE ...

Just to clear the air, and provide a timeline of sorts:

XFree86-4.0.2_3 (afaik, the only difference between _3 and _4 is the
switch from builtin freetype2 to print/freetype2) built fine for me.  I
don't use WindowMaker anymore so I don't care about freetype other than
for fonts.

I was the one who originally suggested building KDE with -pthread to get
it to build (when it failed under do-configure looking for QT.)

While it built ok, it was very broken (mostly kdeinit, which does alot.)

Then someone (David, don't have his last name) told me he built QT with
-no-opengl (which Will has since committed) and - removing the -pthread
_that_I_said_to_put_there_ from KDE's ports - was able to build and run
KDE without problems.

I have done the same and everything is perfect...truetype fonts,
anti-aliasing, KDE2.

None of it has anything to do with what version of FreeBSD you're
running.

I also speculated about the following:

When Will committed the -no-opengl option to QT, he also fixed
do-install to install the threaded QT libs.  I wondered if the reason
KDE [wouldn't build w/out -pthread|was broken with -pthread] was because
of this.

Kevin?