Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:31:10 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        chia an <alan_qc@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file system full for cvsup

chia an wrote:

> 1. i am get stable source from my friend and then
> copied it to my harddrive. When iam running "make
> world" in /usr/src, after 30 minutes there was an
> error appear:
>
> error code 1 : '/usr/src' file system full
>
> after i check it, my partition in /usr had no enough
> freespace (the value showing  -81,2M), what should i
> do?
>
> 2. lets make assumption, if we have 6GB in partition
> /usr, as we knows we running cvsup every week,
> automatically freespace of /usr going less, if we dont
> have enough space for running cvsup, is it posible to
> running cvsup in other partition (beside usr/src)?or
> maybe someone have a gud idea to handle this problem?

It may not be a solution for you but it is a way of dealing with the
problem. I wanted a machine to do a buildworld as fast as possible using
ATA-100 drives. I ended up with 3-30GB HDs with each HD on its own
controller. I allocated a 1.5GB /usr/obj partition on the 2nd controller
and a 1.5GB /usr/src partition on the 3rd controller. They are specified
in /etc/fstab and are mounted at boot time. The separation like this was
worth about a 25% reduction in buildworld time.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA