Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 10:49:01 +0100
From:      Burhan Nazir <burhan@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi editor behaving like a bad boy...

In many Linux distributions, vi is aliased to VIM in the default shell
profile.  Therefore, you could be using and getting comfortable with VIM
(which is not VI).  FreeBSD comes with the real and original VI.

If you want, you can get VIM via ports and alias VI to VIM.

-Burhan

Roberto Armenteros wrote:

> I started using vi in linux and it became my favorite
> text editor. Now, in my two installations of freeBSD
> vi is practically impossible to use. The most basic
> shorcuts like pressing i or insert to start typing
> dont work. I always end up screwing up the texts i
> open with vi. I really dont know what is causing this
> problem. Is it a configuration problem? In linux vi
> would work perfectly from the default installation,
> isnt it so in freebsd? I would appreciate any input in
> this matter.
>
>    Thanks a lot,  Roberto Armenteros...

 FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p4 | http://www.freebsd.org
10:45AM  up 13 days, 20:16, 9 users, load averages: 1.03, 1.06, 0.93