Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:38:17 -0700
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@meer.net>
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Todd Reed <treed@astate.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: frontpage-5.0.2.2623_1

Sorry for the very late reply, been busy...

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:53:09PM -0600, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:33:43 -0800, Joe Rhett <jrhett@meer.net> wrote:
> > Why rename the port?  You've fixed the main frontpage port to use the
> > rtr-supplied binaries.  Why is mod_frontpage being renamed instead of
> > reused?
> >
> The www/mod_frontpage port wasn't renamed, as it still exists.  This
> port uses sources from "Improved mod_frontpage"  which was an attempt
> to replace having to use a patched Apache server (i.e. the old
> www/apache-fp port).
>
> With the recent versions of the RTR FrontPage Extensions, no patching
> the Apache server was required to use their mod_frontpage module.
>
> Because the new "RTR mod_frontpage" version (www/mod_frontpage*-rtr)
> is not compatible with the old "Improved mod_frontpage" version
> (www/mod_frontpage).

Um, works fine for me after using the patches I submitted!  And it has
significant security improvements over your version here.

> I did add some features from the Improved mod_frontpage:
>   - Allow/Disallow Client to publish with FrontPage Extensions
>   - Allow/Disallow Administration of web site with FrontPage Extensions
>
> But I used 2 options (FrontPage [on,off] / FrontPageAdmin [on,off])
> instead of 4 options (FrontPageEnable,FrontPageDisable /
> FrontPageAdminEnable,FrontPageAdminDisable).
>
> The RTR mod_frontpage module doesn't disable the FrontPage Extensions
> (unless the port is compiled with WITH_DISABLED).  The Improved
> mod_frontpage defaults to disabling the FrontPage Extensions, until
> FrontPageEnable and/or FrontPageAdminEnable are added to the
> httpd.conf file.
>
> www/mod_frontpage*-rtr can be made compatible with Improved
> mod_frontpage when WITH_MODFP_COMPAT and WITH_DISABLED are used to
> build the port.

So clarify for me again why this is better?

It seems that adding the submitted patches (4 months old now?) to the
improved mod_frontpage would be better than trying to back-hack these
things into the rtr version of the module.  Improved mod_frontpage has
other significant significant security enhancements as well.

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek