Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 98 14:38:51 +0100
From:      David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
To:        "Barry Scott" <barry@scottb.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Rates calculations and the U.K.

> From: "Barry Scott" <barry@scottb.demon.co.uk>

> The rates mechanism does not work for the U.K. with its tenth second
> billing.

> As an OO designer I'd naturally solve the rates problem with objects. Is
> there
> any reason why isdnd is not a C++ program using OO design?

Maybe some people do not like C--.
But this is not the place for language discusssions.

I would not blow up isdnd with rates calculation. I would make something
similar to OpenStep's bundles (in other worlds: plugins) for each country.

The simplest way of (emulating) this is a simple system() call.

In your preference file you would specify that "UK.isdnbilling" will be
executed on each call. The program UK.isdnbilling will get the numbers and
times as arguments and does the rest.

In Germany, we would have a "FRG.isdnbilling" that in turn calls the right
call-by-call provider-isdnbilling program.

If you like, you can make all ".isdnbilling-Bundles" directories.

FRG.isdnbilling would look like this:

FRG.isdnbilling/
FRG.isdnbilling/FRG.isdnbilling*
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Mobilcom.isdnbilling/
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Mobilcom.isdnbilling*
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Mobilcom.isdnbilling/Resources/
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Mobilcom.isdnbilling/Resources/config.plist
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Acor.isdnbilling/
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Acor.isdnbilling*
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Acor.isdnbilling/Resources/
FRG.isdnbilling/Resources/Acor.isdnbilling/Resources/config.plist

See
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosxserver/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/Reference/ObjC_classic/frameset.html
for more on real bundles.

Or for PDF:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosxserver/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/Reference/ObjC_classic/FoundationReference.pdf

And remember: Nearly 95% of this is already in GnuStep and works on any Unix
box :-)

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 NeXTmail dave@turbocat.de
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/
           DEVELOPMENT * CONSULTING * ADMINISTRATION
           WATCH OUT FOR TURBOFAX for OPENSTEP!