Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 14:02:32 -0700
From:      Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
To:        BSD User <bsd_user@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Co-processor?

--------------6180C12BB4438CFF4E488B3C

Your 386 is not capable of using SMP - Symmetric Multi-Processing - like a
Pentium Pro, Pentium II/III, AMD K7, etc.  I would not remove the co-processor
if I were you as you will notice an immediate decrease in performance.

Frankly, unless your system is Y2K compliant - see http://www.nstl.com for help
determining if your system is - you might be better off just tossing it out and
using something like eBay.com to build a cheap, but Y2K compliant, system.

Hope it helps.

RAB

BSD User wrote:

> Hi, I have been wondering about something on my old 386...
> My 386 has a co-processor along with my main one, is this processor for
> doing certain stuff like floating point calculations? Would it be possible
> to take out that co processor and stick in another processor so it would be
> a dual? Right now it is a 386dx/33mhz. Thanks!
>
> bsd user

--------------6180C12BB4438CFF4E488B3C

begin:vcard
n:Bettle;Roy
tel;work:(949) 452-1203
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.criterion-group.com
org:Criterion Group, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:rbettle@criterion-group.com
title:President
note:Businesses that depend on computers, depend on us.
adr;quoted-printable:;;26895 Aliso Creek Road=0D=0ASuite B404;Aliso Viejo;CA;92656;USA
fn:Bettle, Roy
end:vcard