Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2008 22:50:02 GMT
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/119995: [patch] New rc.d script ddb to load ddb scripts from /etc/ddb.conf

The following reply was made to PR conf/119995; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To: Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc: Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org,
    freebsd-rc@freebsd.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: conf/119995: [patch] New rc.d script ddb to load ddb scripts
 from /etc/ddb.conf
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 22:41:13 +0000 (GMT)

 On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Brooks Davis wrote:

 > IMO we want this in the base and ideally this script or the crash dump
 > script would grow the option to mail text dumps somewhere automatically (off
 > by default of course).  This should be as tightly integrated as we can
 > reasonably make it.

 I think I'd like to see something along these lines in the base, as
 offering tools to help autonatically configure DDB scripting isn't all that
 different from offering tools to configure firewalls, run user scripts, etc.

 However, I wonder if we should consider doing it slightly differently than
 proposed.  One of the things I like about the way we do ipfw rulesets is that
 we allow a filename to be specified that contains a series of commands to pass
 to the ipfw command-line tool, rather than a file that contains a list of
 rules.  This means that as the ipfw tool becomes more capable, the
 configuration file supports those changes in a natural way.  I.e., rather than
 having ddb.conf contain:

    scriptname="foo bar baz"

 It should perhaps instead contain:

    script scriptname="foo bar baz"

 We will need to teach ddb(8) to do this in a similar manner to ipfw(8).

 Robert N M Watson
 Computer Laboratory
 University of Cambridge