Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2019 11:51:43 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   [vm-bhyve] Windows 2012 and 2016 servers guests would not stop

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

Dear Colleages,

I've noticed that it takes too long for Windows 2012 and 2016 servers
guests to shutdown when I issue "vm stopall," several minutes even.

Does vm-bhyve provide a way to power them off ungracefully if they would
not stop within a predefined time?

Or is there perhaps a way to tune the guest OSes to react more promptly
to an ACPI shutdown?

My primary concern is that my UPS and "apcupsd --kill-on-powerfail" give
me about 30 seconds of grace time before the power supply is cut out. It
is not sufficient for the bhyve box to shutdown shutdown properly
because it waits for the guests to shutdown.

If you know of a better way to configure apcupsd so that it powers down
the UPS only after all the guest OSes and other daemons are safely down,
I'd appreciate that too.

For some reason, apctest does not allow me to change the grace period,
perhaps this model does not support it. And it would mean a race
condition anyway.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/