Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:29:23 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: printing to Kyocera FS-1030D

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 05:41:44PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> before I use up too many trees experimenting, could some kind soul tell=
=20
> me how I can get OpenOffice to print to this printer. This is the first=
=20
> time I have tried to get anything printed from FreeBSD.
>=20
> I'm following the handbook. I think the basic setup is ok, I can get=20
> text printed using eg
> # lptest 20 5 | lpr -Plp
>=20
> If I try to print the postscript program given in the handbook
> %!PS
> 100 100 moveto 300 300 lineto stroke
> 310 310 moveto /Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont
> (Is this thing working?) show
> showpage
>=20
> # cat <ps-file> |lpr -Plp
>=20
> I get the whole text of the file not just "Is this thing working?".
>=20
> The printer has various emulations, it is set to PCL 6 and I can't=20
> change it (not my printer)

That is a pity. Just so you know, if you'd be able to switch it to PostScri=
pt
(of which it seems capable) you'd be more or less done.

> Printing from OpenOffice just produces screeds of garbage, starting with=
=20
> %!PS so I presume the text of the postscript that OO has produced.

Yes.

> The bit I'm stuck on is in section 9.4.1.3 Simulating PostScript on Non=
=20
> PostScript Printers (which I presume is what I need), specifically=20
> setting the device. gs -h doesn't show this printer or any Kyocera=20
> printer. So either what should I set Device to, or how do I get=20
> ghostscript to know about this printer?

There are several possible drivers you could use; pcl3 pxlmono pxlcolor.
The gutenprint (a.k.a. gimp-print) driver also supports your printer direct=
ly.

I would start with the pcl3 driver if you want to go with the standard lpd.

However, I'd recommend that you take the time and install and configure
CUPS.=20

> I'm using 8.1-RELEASE, openoffice.org-3.2.1, ghostscript8-8.71_6

Do you know that ghostscript9 is in ports?

Roland
--=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--