Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:48:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland), Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

In message <199707242321.QAA18495@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry Lambert writes:
: Reverse Address Resoloution Protocol.  When someone connects to me,
: I can always geet the IP address they are connecting from.  Using
: RARP, I can turn the address into a machine name, and compare it
: with what you tell me on the "HELO" and "MAIL FROM:" lines.

Terry, that's complete bullshit.  RARP is a protocol used on the
ethernet for booting workstations ask for their IP address.  Much like
ARP.

Turning IP -> DNS name is just a DNS lookup.

Warner