Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:47:07 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSNBC: The Net's stealth operating system

> > http://www.msnbc.com/news/292376.asp
> >
> > I've only skimmed it so far, but it seems like a pretty nice article. Nice
> > work, Wes Peters and Matthew Fuller for the quotes, too.
> >
> > Kris

Just as a side note, this chunk of the article is very accurate:

     When the best, brightest and most suspicious minds from the
     computer industry gathered in Las Vegas for the DEF CON trade
     show earlier this month, Linux-taunting by BSD sophisticates
     wasn't at all subtle. And when one speaker announced that BSD
     CD-ROMs were being given away at the show, but Red Hat had
     declined to give away Linux CDs, there was outright jeering.
     Has Linux has become too mainstream and lost its appeal among
     "Ubergeeks"?

Mke Smith and I went to DefCon this year and were totally surprised
to find _zero_ linux vendors there. We had some awesome defcon/freebsd
shirts that sold like hotcakes and we gave out the first disk in the 3.1
set and sold the first disk in the 3.1 for a dollar. By the second day
it was hard to not walk among the 3000 or so ppl there and not seea
FreeBSD shirt and we had given out almost 1000 discs.  In comparision to
the OpenBSD folks selling everything at full price (and not doing to
well at it) and the non-existant Linux vendors I think FreeBSD came out
looking really good. Several of the speakers on the second day gave
their talks wearing one of our shirts :)

Just thought I'd share. :)

-Bill

--
-=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@dub.net  - unfurl@freebsd.org - bill@cdrom.com
-=| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picasso