Date:      26 Apr 1998 09:53:37 +0200
From:      Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov, archie@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:

> Basically, it's a big cache coherency problem; all the data that
> gets changed and results in the wrong thing happening is "cached" in
> the program doing the wrong thing.

So what we need is, maybe a new signal? SIGCONF? by default it is
ignored. Processes that need to know when configuration changes, can
establish a handler for this signal and ``do the right thing'' when
ip address et al changes. (sounds a lot like the SIGHUP convention,
although a bit more structured).

I guess another syscall might come in handy too: ``please notify when
this-and-that registry values change'', i.e. sigconf_mask(<list of
registry subtree specifcations>). Maybe we need to be able to
select()/poll() on registry changes as well.

With such a mechanism in place, we can start converting userland
programs to actually use it. It may actually prove to be not so
difficult---many programs already have re-read-configuration handlers
for SIGHUP.

Jacob

--
Jacob Lorensen; Mosebuen 33, 1.; DK-2820 Gentofte, Denmark; +45-31560401
PGP ID = E596F0B5; PGP Fingerprint = 1E8726467436DC4A 723B6678C5AD9E71