Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:41:38 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl fix for zero-length data

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:50:07PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Please review the attached patch to fix the sysctl interface to accept
> data of zero length.  This fixes the case where one wants to clear a
> string exported via sysctl, as in:
>
> 	sysctl kern.hostname=
>
> Right now, the above will do nothing.  With this patch, it will clear
> (i.e., set to "") "kern.hostname".

About time, too!  Hope this one gets committed soon :)
FWIW, I've been running it here for a couple of months (ever since it
came up back in January), and there have been no adverse effects
of setting string sysctl's to empty strings.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.