Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:12:20 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Questions Free BSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SSH suddenly giving pam error for existing user

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:33, Ian Moore wrote:
> Hi,
> I can normally ssh to my home computer (using password authentication), but
> today it's stopped working. The last time I did it was about 9 days ago
> from work & it worked then.
> The console log shows:
> Jan 19 17:04:25 daemon sshd[61084]: error: PAM: authentication error for
> imoore from firewall.
>
> I've tried connecting from 2 different remote hosts, one at work & another
> elsewhere - same result.
>
> When I got home today, I tried creating a new user & then ssh'ed to a
> remote machine & ssh'ed back to mine with the new username.
> I was able to log in OK as the new user.
>
> I then changed the password for my normal user & tried to ssh back with the
> new password, but I still can't login.
>
> I'm running 5.3-RELEASE-p2. I have upgraded a few ports since ssh last
> worked - openoffice and a few bit & pieces - I'm not sure what exactly.
> I haven't altered my ipfw config in that time, nor have I upgraded the base
> system or kernel.
>
> Can anyone think what might have caused this?
>
> Cheers,

Hi, I'm still having trouble with this.
I figured I should be able to fix it by renaming my home directory, then use
rmuser to delete my account & create a new account with the same uid.

Well I figured wrongly! I still couldn't ssh to my new account.

Then I tried deleting that account & creating a new one with the same name but
a different UID - still no joy. I just get "error: PAM: authentication error
for imoore" every time.

So why does it work for new user with a different username? Is PAM somehow
keeping the old password somewhere?

Cheers,
--
Ian