Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:34:55 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: userland program panics freebsd 4.3

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> OK, so what you're saying is that you haven't even tried to report the
> problem such that it can be fixed.  I don't think it's fair to hold
> your lack of communication about your problem against the FreeBSD
> sound developers; if you want this to get fixed then you really need
> to get the ball rolling yourself by doing the best you can to describe
> and detail the problem in a PR.  If you're missing details then
> someone will ask for them.

Exactly!

I have had extremely good experiences with PRs in general, and things
are getting better still. Kudos all around.

Even if you can't provide enough information in the initial PR, the
person looking at it will usually tell you what other information is
needed to debug things, and how to obtain it. Hoping that someone else
will submit a PR for your problem is not very efficient.

It is true, however, that a PR may fall through the cracks sometimes. It
isn't a bad idea to ping a newsgroup about a PR after some reasonable
time after submission (a week or two).

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute