Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:09:30 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5r -> current upgrade

[NetBSD 1.2 on my machines...]
>>	486-133MHz:		A little over 6 hours
>>	Pentium-120MHz:		3:15
>>	Pentium Pro-200MHz:	1:21

[Speaking of FreeBSD on his machine...]
>3 hours, 15 minutes is about I get on a make world of the Mayday
>snapshot. I have an ASUS P55T2P4 Triton II 586-120MHz with 16 Meg of ram,
>512K L2 cache, Adptec 1542cf SCSI controller and 2 1-gig drives.

Ack!  You could do better!  Throw away that old ISA piece of trash and
get a PCI SCSI controller.  You should be able to get an NCR/Symbios
53c810 based card for less than $100 from whoever you bought your Asus
motherboard from.  There is a very definite difference in disk
performance.  Especially if your hard drive(s) support tagged-command-
queuing.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net