Date:      20 Dec 00 09:19:08 MST
From:      John Smith <tiburon359@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New netgraph features?

Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
>John Smith wrote:
>> =

>>  Hello,
>> =

>>  Recently while I was playing with netgraph code
>>  I noted some interesting comments about 'tracing'
>>  netgraph packets and the ability to connect nodes
>>  located on different machines. I would like to ask
>>  if somebody is working on such a code and if it
>>  would be worth writing it. Any additional comments
>>  and ideas are also welcome.
>
>If you are playing with it, you may want to let me know your thoughts..
>I know many people are using it for this-and-that but we get
>very little feedback.

Well, I'm not a network administrator, so I haven't
used netgraph for real services. In general, I like
the idea, because I haven't seen yet a 'network
problem' which I can't solve using netgraph. Well,
many times my solution requires some code to be
written, but... this is why I use FreeBSD - I can
always do what I want to. :) In this case, netgraph
helps a lot, because it already has some nodes and
because it has a mechanism for easily implementing new
nodes. One has enough power to solve his particular needs
and there are few posibilities for 'design limitations'.

>I'm presently rewriting a large part of netgraph to make is suitable for=

>running under SMP without the BGL.. (e.g fine grain locking)
>so I'm interested in wha people think in general, and
>specifically what the  liked and didn't like.
>Lastly, if you have used netraph, make sure that you have a look at the =

>man page for the -current version to see what ha s been changing.

I'm currently running -current... so this is the only code/doc I'm =

looking at.

>looking at the extra argumants on the prototypes =

>in /sys/netgraph/netgraph.h will show you where to look
>for changes inthe source too.
>
>(in particular tha ability to route messages for flow control has =

>been a large change).
>

>As to your specific questions, these were vague ideas of things that we =

>though were proctical but didn't have time to do.
>
>nodes on differnt machines could be connected by using a udp ksocket
>node as a tunnel. =

Well, may be I didn't said exactly what I wanted to.
If we use say, ksocket nodes as a tunnel, we will
transfer the data - ok, but what about metadata?
May be I should say 'to connect two netgraphs'?
May be this is a lost cause, but that's why I'm asking.

>Tracing is simply the ability to add a flag to =

>a metadata object, and adding code to the data delivery function
>(ng_send_data()) to somehow emit trace information whnever the metadata
>it is moving has that flag set.
>
>The latter would be very easy to do. (but what logging mechanism =

>would you use, and how would you set the bits?)

Well, probably there are several ways to do this -
not quite sure.
At this point I'm just asking for
some feedback :)