Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2007 15:56:27 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Idea: static builds

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:05:36PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> >On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:03:04 -0500, Dmitry Marakasov
> ><amdmi3@amdmi3.ru> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>I just have an idea that may be useful: static port builds. This can
> >>help produce packages without any depends, which may be useful
> >>sometimes.
> >>
> >>Implementation seem pretty straightfoward to me:
> >>- Introduce STATIC_BUILD variable that changes usual build behavior
> >>- Process LIB_DEPENDS in a different way: check .a instead of .so.*, and
> >>fail if .a is missing, and .so is present (i.e. needed static lib is not
> >>available at all), don't add library ports to package depends
> >>- Add -static to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS
> >>
> >>Any comments? I will try to experiment with this for now.
> >
> >How do you deal with the security? It will be required for all ports
> >that depend on a port to be rebuild, so bump the PORTREVISION will be
> >need. But what about for non-static that don't need to be bump? A
> >solution for that might be need too.
> >
> >I have no object with static build as long as it is flexible and
> >optional (disable/enable).
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Mezz
> >

>    Static, built upon static, built upon static would be a bad thing to
> watch out for too I'd think...
>    Am I wrong?

	I would allow the shells to be built statically, and perhaps
	most or all of /bin.  Hm.  And a few other necessary utilities.
	Things-X aren't essentials.  But vi is.  ed still gives me
	nightmares![*]

	Wasn't the reason for NON-static builds mostly to
	save-disc-space???  Whatever, having ports that build
	statically-- things that  won't bomb if libfoo.so.3 is
	missing-- having this seeems like the best idea in years!
	How much hacking to the Makefles is it?

	gary